Our Weekend + DIY Rustic Console Table

Happy Monday, friends! I hope you all had a great weekend! I'm sad to see this weekend go but I'm ready for a very exciting October, which starts with a trip to Florida this week.

This weekend was more productive than I expected, starting with our neighborhood-wide garage sale. We decided to participate in an attempt to clean out the spare bedroom to make room for baby and we were surprised at how well we did!

There were definitely a few garage sale crazies, like the one that came with a flashlight and was snooping around our stuff as we were setting up at 6:30 AM... Eek. Also, I'm pretty sure it made my husband's day when 3 people came up and asked if we were selling this console table! Considering this was his first project since we made cornhole boards, I think that's quite a compliment and he totally deserves it!

The supplies for this project cost us about $75. Not bad for a 6 foot long console table.


I thought I'd share a few of the steps via pictures since the original instructions are a bit lacking in that department. My husband followed the Ana White Rustic X Console Table plans, so make sure to check there for the shopping and cut list plus additional directions.

Tools we used:
Mini Kreg Jig Kit (takes a bit of practice to learn how to use, but for $20 it was the cheapest Kreg Jig option and worked just fine for this project)
Drill
Power Sander
2 boxes of 2 1/2 inch pocket hole screws
1 box of 1 1/4 inch pocket hole screws

We had Lowes cut all of the pieces for us, which took a little while but the nice man helping us didn't mind and it saved us a ton of work!

Once you get the hang of your Kreg jig, you basically want to make pocket holes on all of your wood pieces before attaching them with pocket hole screws. Make the frames first. 


Then drill pocket holes into the two 1x12 boards. My husband made a lot of them... I don't think this many were necessary but hey, they are really secure!


Attach the other side of the frame to the shelves. Then drill more pocket holes to the remaining 2x4 and 2x2 pieces (these were supposed to be cut at 11 1/4" but for some reason ours were tight and had to be sanded down to about 11").

Drill pocket holes onto each side of the long 2x6 pieces then have your pregnant wife/sidekick stand on them to hold them together while you attach them together with the 2.5" pocket hole screws.

Drill more pocket holes (getting tired of those yet?) on the top pieces of the frame, facing upwards, to secure the table top. 


My husband did one coat of Minxwax Stain in Dark Walnut and 2 coats of polycrylic on the whole piece.


Since we're beginners at this, we don't have all the tools required so we left out the "x" part on the ends of this table. We added some corner brackets, which we bought in a pack of 4 for only $4 at Lowes, and I spray painted them.



I'm so proud of my husband, the table looks amazing in our hallway! Though I think he is a bit worried I'll give him more projects like this now that I know he's got some talent in the construction department.


After finishing our projects this weekend, I treated myself to a few pumpkins and finally put more Fall decor up. Will share more of this gorgeous table all styled up for Fall later this week!

26 comments

  1. This turned out great! I like how you added the corner brackets to the piece, makes it look a little bit more unique :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed! Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your table looks awesome! And great for the price! I am jealous of your vacation in Florida!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! We have been dying to buy something like this. Maybe we will just make it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out amazing!! It looks very professional. This may be the next project for my Husband.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! Way to go husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly what I am looking for for under our gallery wall. Thank you for sharing - I will be stealing this idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really beautiful. I'd love it in my house!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this!! It turned out amazing! I'm going to have to pin this to try one day.

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks amazing!! Job well done guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve is the man! What a great table. Love how it turned out with the photo collage :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love!!! This turned out so great! The stain is so perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely adding this to the list of DIY projects I want my husband to do, ha! I love the stain.. can't wait to see it all decorated for fall! Happy Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that table looks awesome! You need to get Steve to make y'all a crib and a changing table now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that looks great!!! you didn't sell it, right???

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, seriously??? You guys are amazing. That looks incredible. I'm so impressed with good DIY projects. I love the way it turned out and your awesome gallery wall above it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome project! I am totally jealous of your DIY skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the metal corner brackets that you added, looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am impressed! I'd be super proud of my husband, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks amazing! Might have to forward this blog post to Cameron...

    ReplyDelete
  21. That table looks amazing! Your husband did a great job on it! I think you should totally give him more projects now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is awesome, we have a console table that is not very functional. I need more shelving - may have to show the husband this and add it to his list of projects!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't believe your husband built that!! Mine can barely hang a picture on the wall!! So so impressed! If I were you I would have a list 100 projects long for him to do.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.