Red Velvet Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting

After that disappointing Super Bowl game, several intense rounds of Catch Phrase, ingesting way too much food, and the foggiest drive home I've ever experienced, it's safe to say this weekend wore me out!

I baked these cupcakes for the Super Bowl party we went to and they were absolutely delish. The flavor isn't overwhelmingly sweet but its one of my favorite red velvet and frosting recipes yet! If you're not into baking or making things from scratch, then I totally don't blame you for buying the red velvet boxed cake mix. It's definitely easier. But, do yourself a favor and make this frosting to go with them!


The frosting needs to be whipped for at least 4 minutes on a medium-high speed with either a stand or hand mixer. It will become light and fluffy looking when it is done.


Red Velvet Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from Gimme Some Oven

{Makes 24 cupcakes}

Cupcake Ingredients
2 1/2 cups Cake Flour, sifted
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
2 tbsp. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 oz. Red Food Coloring (this is one full bottle, you can add another bottle for a deeper color)
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 cup Buttermilk
1 tsp. White Vinegar
1 tsp. Baking Soda

Frosting Ingredients
2 (8 oz.) blocks of Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature or softened slightly
1 tbsp. Vanilla Extract
4 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar, sifted

To make the cupcakes:

Sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, mix the food coloring and cocoa powder. It will look like a thin icing or paste without any lumps. (P.S. I thought this was going to dye my white bowl red but it didn't, so no worries!)

In a large bowl, using either your stand or hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together for about 4 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time before adding your vanilla and cocoa powder mix. Add a third of the flour mix and beat until combined, then add half of the buttermilk. Continue this until the flour mix and buttermilk are all combined.

In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and baking soda. After it fizzes and is mixed well, add to the cake batter and beat for one minute. Fill cupcake tins about 3/4 full. I use this scoop to make sure all of the tins are filled to the same level, its well worth the money if you bake a lot!

Bake for 20-22 minutes. If a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean, they are done! Allow to cool on a wire rack.

To make the frosting:

Using a mixer, beat cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed for about 3 minutes or until until combined. Add the vanilla and gradually beat in the powdered sugar until completely combined. Increase the speed of your mixer and beat for another 4 minutes until the frosting is fluffy and smooth. I used a Wilton 1D tip to frost the cupcakes.

Refrigerate until serving so the icing can set!

I may or may not have had one of these for breakfast today. Don't judge. Someone has to get them out of the house..

18 comments

  1. These were amazing!! I really need to get a kitchen aid mixer so I can bake these awesome desserts like you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM. Those look delicious and oh so pretty. Xx.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They almost look too pretty to eat..."almost"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god they look delicious! Red velvet is my favorite! Also having cupcakes that are in the house for breakfast are a must for me :)!

    Kristin
    Crumbs & Curls

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Red Velvet is my favorite, although I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I usually do the semi-homemade thing, combining the boxed mix with homemade frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh girl, I love red velvet since it's not too sweet like you said. These looks ALMOST too cute to eat. And you're right, someone's gotta get them out of the house hah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look fabulous. Yum. Cake for breakfast is totally amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum! I love red velvet! These look scrumptious!!
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red Velvet are my fav! Love the little arrow topper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. holy moly--mouth weatering!!!! making these this weekend, so festive :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Me too!! Well any dessert is really.. haha darn sweet tooth!

      Delete
  12. So cute and these would be perfect for valentines day! I think I would do the boxed mix but then icing sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look and sound -really- good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! I love the glitter arrow on top, perfect addition!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.