Decor Love: Custom Acrylic Tray

Happy Hump Day! I hope you are all getting a dose of Spring like we are! Yesterday we were able to open all of the windows and get some vitamin D during Ruby's walk, and it felt so good.

After getting myself organized last night, I'm hoping I can get back into spring cleaning, organizing, and my mini office update this week. I'll just be working on a few smaller projects until we come back from Europe, so it will take a bit for it all to come together. Not that you'd expect it to be fast, given my slow progress on the master bedroom!

If you've seen my office inspiration on Pinterest, you know I have a thing for acrylic. I have a few smaller acrylic desk accessories, but I liked the idea of a tray to use as a catch-all. I get major anxiety when my desk is unorganized, so here's hoping this tray will help me keep my shit together!


This project is way too easy, especially if you have access to a laminator.

What you will need:

Acrylic Box Frame: $3 after 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby
Scrapbook Paper: 25/cents each, I think. (I used 12x12 paper, but 8x10 also works)
Laminating for 2 pieces of Paper: $4 (I went to UPS)
Scissors, Exacto Knife, or Paper Cutter: Owned

Grand Total: $7.50

I noticed a similar (and really pretty) project on A Fabulous Fete, but I didn't want to bother with the spray paint, tape, and the clean up so I went with pretty scrapbook paper.

Craft stores have a bunch of different sizes in the box frames. It comes with a cheap cardboard insert... throw it out. Cut your paper to fit the inside of the box, making sure it is small enough that it will fit once it's laminated. Get your paper laminated, trim the edges, and place inside tray.

I didn't use anything to stick the paper to the tray, it's not really necessary. Also, please don't judge my tray styling, or lack thereof. I promise it will look prettier once I make some more progress!
 
Tape Dispenser

Cheap shadow box to pretty desk tray. I told you this was easy. Now that I see it written out, it's almost embarrassing!

Here it is with my other paper option, but I think I like the gold quatrefoil better. At least until I make my desk white!

If you want something with a monogram, you can get free printables here (though they may be a little small for this particular shadow box) or add an acrylic monogram like I did here.

It's very likely every room in our house will have one of these pretty trays, sooner or later. I mean... Bar tray. Vanity tray. So many possibilities!

24 comments

  1. I am so glad that you posted this, because I have been wanting one forever! This is awesome because you can change out the patterns! I am bookmarking this for later!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and so easy! I love that you can change it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I have one with my old initials on it, but I'm thinking it's time to change it out for my new initials. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I also love that since it's not glued in you can swap it out anytime! Ohh might need this for my changing table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic idea! I may have to try that! I have seen other tutorials but they were more expensive and not as easy. Where is your tape dispenser from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE it! Love that gold pattern too!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it, I am seeing several DIY things today that make me want to go home and craft!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love this! I've been looking for some things to spruce up my desk at work and this is just perfect! :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This would be so perfect to personalize your desk a little! :)

      Delete
  9. You have amazed me once again :-) Love love love this!!!! Ekk, like I want to make one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it with the gold foil paper! I made one similar for on our coffee table in our living room to hold our remotes. They are super and easy and cute...I think I need to make another one for on my dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would never have thought to you a box frame like that! So cute! Pretty sure I'm going to make a couple this weekend... except I'll probably be super lazy and not even laminate my paper. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this! Talk about easy and such a nice accent piece!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So perfect! I'm going to get the supplies tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! That gold paper is fabulous. I'm a sucker for trays, too. We probably have at least 10 scattered throughout or house, but I'm thinking another one might be needed after seeing yours. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Under 5 minutes, especially if you're better at cutting straight lines than me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing :) Absolutely love it!

    www.lifeasabaltimoregirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just came across this on Pinterest, looking for acrylic tray DIYs! Now I have so many ideas of what I could do with it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.