Travel Essentials for Abroad

I can't even believe that in just a couple weeks my husband and I will be making our first venture across the pond! It's kind of surreal.

Work is kicking my butt this week, and next week will be even busier, so sometimes I just get excited to have 9 whole days off to do nothing but eat food, drink wine, and explore with my husband. I would also be lying if I said I haven't considered starting to outfit plan and pull out the ol' suitcase. I'm making myself wait... until this weekend, at least.

I do have this little stash of things I've been picking up here and there to get ready for our trip. I thought I'd go over the important items in case anyone else if planning a big trip as well! Also, if I forget anything here I'm leaning on y'all to remind me!

 Tide. Cards. Neck Stash. Adapter. TSA-Approved Locks. Memory Foam Neck Pillow. Umbrella.
Canon DSLR Remote: I don't think I'm bringing the Gorillapod for space reasons so I'm depending on the remote to help us take non-selfie, selfies. Also bringing multiple memory cards and iPhone lens attachments for fun!

Notebook: While we're traveling in between cities, I'm planning to write down which restaurants we loved and any other little details that might escape me 50 years from now when I'm telling our grandbabies all about our trip!

Diffuser: I know I can't bring my hair dryer, so this weird little attachment is going to (hopefully) take the place of my normal diffuser. Curly hair girls will know what I'm talking about! Wish me luck that my hair doesn't become a total beast over there.

Between our iPad, the deck of cards, and my notebook, I figured those would help us pass the time on the train!

Not pictured: hand sanitzer and a Document Holder. I picked up a small plastic document holder from the Target dollar section and its perfect for holding our Passports, train tickets, and hopefully keeping our entry tickets to attractions safe because I love holding onto those!

I should clarify that the nerdy neck stash is for my husband. We don't want to take any chances with the pickpockets.

Also, it's been a total pain in the ass trying to figure out which plug adapters will work in Italy versus France. My sister-in-law gave us hers for Italy, so we got a second one with multiple options just in case the other doesn't work in Paris.

So for those of you who have been to Europe, what am I missing? Besides the obvious things like passports, toothpaste, underwear, etc.

17 comments

  1. Umbrella is so smart! I remember getting caught in the rain often, especially while in Paris! Great thing is that you can tuck into a sweet pastry shop and drink cappuccinos and eat delicious Parisian pastries! Apart from amazing versatile walking shoes, versatile pieces to change up outfits, I think you have thought of so many good things! Let me tell you, I have super curly hair, and my hair was a beast plenty of days! I think I did try to straighten it though! HAVE FUN! :) xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really, really looking forward to the cafes and pastries in Paris! Thanks for the advice, definitely trying to plan out my clothes so I can get a bunch of different outfits from a couple of pieces! :)

      Delete
  2. I've never been to Europe but what a pain having to get all different adapters for the wall plugs! You're smart for thinking of that I'm sure that's the one thing I'd forget and end up paying a fortune for one once we got over there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to have so much fun!! My husband and I did a European vacation last may. You got the right stuff. I picked up shoe insoles for more cushioning because I knew we were going to be walking a lot. I didn't take a hair dryer because hotels have them, but I did take my flat iron. Take books if you like to read!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm that girl that still always brings a blow dryer... Even to Europe. But good for you if you are able to do without. Definitely gives you more room for other stuff... Like shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. eeeep! so excited for your big trip!! here's a few more packing suggestions: http://www.cornflakedreams.com/2013/09/international-packing-tips.html

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm so excited for you! You'll definitely appreciate the umbrella! We got caught in the rain a few times in Italy. Definitely take a versatile scarf, great for if you get a little chilly. I also found an eye mask for sleeping on the plane helpful. I'm a light sleeper, so when anyone turned on the overhead lights it would wake me up. Have so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I never thought of the eye mask! Totally bringing 2 or 3 scarves, they are small so I figure I can fit my faves!

      Delete
  7. Maybe in addition to the umbrella some ponchos? That way if you want to make use of the day and still sight see even if it is pouring. I bet you could find some at a dollar store here but if you had them buy them from a street vendor they might be pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are going to have such an amazing time! The only thing I wished I had brought (and didn't since it was summer) was a light sweater that could fit in my purse. Not sure what the temps are like there right now, but you also have to have your shoulders covered when visiting a lot of the churches :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh my trip to Europe was eons ago but my advice is to buy something of quality while you're there. I bought a beautiful leather purse in Italy and never regretted it for one day! Also if you're allergic or sensitive to bugs bring anti-itch cream. I had to go to the phamacia for it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see pictures from your trip! I'm saving this list in case we ever make the trip abroad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your essentials! Can I ask where your going exactly??

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAVE A FANTASTIC TRIP!!! I couldn't really tell by the pictures but a across the body small purse might be a good idea. I love it for trips because it keeps your hands free and your belongings safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Make sure that any hair things you take are dual voltage so you don't burn them out on day one! Also, I used the same adapter in Italy and in France -- the UK is different, but those two are the same.

    A few other things I would recommend: a wine bottle opener, a latex travel clothesline (for drying clothes), and a colorful bandana or something to tie onto your suitcase handle so that you can easily spot it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would bring at little emergency pack with advil, benadryl etc. I got bit by a mosquito in Florence and my eye was swollen for a day and a half. :( Get friendly with the metro in Paris (if you are going there) fast, it is a life saver and so easy. Good call on not bringing the hair dryer and just the defuser. I have curly hair too and just went with it and everything turned out fine. All of our hotels had hair dryers so we lucked out. Don't waste precious suitcase space if you don't need to :) Cross body bags are a must as well. Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Thanks for the reminder on the emergency pack, so sorry you had to deal with that though! I was nervous about using the Metro, but I've heard its even easier than the one in DC so I think we'll be able to figure it out. Thanks so much for the advice :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.