Festive Friday

This week I'm starting to get that urgency that you get during the holiday season, you know where it seems there is so much to do, in such little time, yet you still want to soak it all in somehow? I'm seriously anticipating that whole week off from work I'm taking for Thanksgiving, as well as having all the pumpkin pie I can eat! Gotta love this time of year! So today I've got some festive favorites to share with you and the Five on Friday ladies!


ONE: My early Christmas gift.... a Big Girl Camera

Canon EOS Rebel T3i

My amazing, thoughtful husband gave this baby to me as an early Christmas gift so I could learn how to use it and take photos while we're visiting my family for Thanksgiving. It means so much to me to be able to take nice photos with them since I won't be there for Christmas! That means this weekend I've got some light reading with oh... 300 pages... of the manual, plus all of the photography tutorials I've been bookmarking online! Did I mention how much I love my husband, and not just for his impeccable gift giving abilities?!

I've practiced taking photos (and love it so far) but haven't learned how to get them on my computer yet. If any of you have a DSLR, what are your favorite lenses or accessories? I'm thinking a remote, tripod, and definitely a camera case for now.

TWO: Hot Chocolate 



One of the first photos I saw on Pinterest was this hot chocolate. All you have to do is spread cool whip cookie sheet or any small pan, freeze it, then cut out with a cookie cutter in a fun shape. (I lined my pan with parchment paper first so I could lift the cool whip out of the pan and cut it more easily) Ruby and I had a lady/pup date this week and we sipped on some hot chocolate while the dogs played. Perfection!

THREE: Christmas Purchases

I've made a couple purchases for this year's Christmas decor, and I'm pretty.darn.excited to start decking our halls with it! The mistletoe ball and fair isle wrapping paper are from Target (of course). I don't think I'll be able to hold off with the Christmas decor much longer, I think it would be so fun to come home after Thanksgiving to a festive house! Also.. White Christmas by Otis Redding, which is possibly my most favorite Christmas song ever next to Baby It's Cold outside from the Elf Soundtrack, randomly played on my iPhone even though I haven't transferred my Christmas playlist over yet. I think it's a sign...

FOUR: Thanksgiving Hostess Gift


I'm planning to put together a little hostess gift for our Thanksgiving dinner hosts. Anything beyond the booze isn't really necessary if you're eating with family, in my opinion, but I decided to get creative with it anyway. The goodies will include: a bottle of Pinot Noir with a DIY chalkboard label (obviously since that is in the photo), some of my favorite pumpkin granola, a cute wine stopper, and a festive kitchen towel. Easy to put together, easy on the wallet, and a great gift for anyone.

FIVE: Thanksgiving Link-Up next week!


I'm so excited to host my first link-up next week! I hope you will all join me in sharing your favorite Thanksgiving recipe on Tuesday, November 12th! I'll also have the link open for a couple of days so you can join later if you forget. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's favorite recipes and maybe adding a few new ones to our menu this year! You can either save the button above or wait until the day-of, where I'll have the html code for you.

With all of that excitement this week... we have zero plans for us this weekend, which is awesome. Anyone have anything fun going on? I hope you have a good one!

28 comments

  1. Now I want hot chocolate. But only with a star cool whip on the top :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. eeeeeeeeeeee for your big girl camera!! aaaaa so awesome!! i'm hoping for one soon-ish! also -- the christmas decorations you purchased are perfect! love!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously how cute is the cookie cutter cool whip idea!? Must try! I am hoping for a big girl camera here soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the nice camera! I am still trying to figure out how to use mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't control myself when it comes to Christmas decorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha me either! I've been picking up new decor every time I go out, my husband thinks I'm crazy!

      Delete
  6. That cool whip trick is pretty cool! Love the new camera!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    http://acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love so many things about this post!! The hot chocolate cool whip is so fun & I am definitely stealing the chalkboard label idea :) Congrats on the camera- such a sweet idea to give it to you early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren!! :) My husband is definitely good to me! Definitely give the hostess gift and hot chocolate a try!!

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to the Thanksgiving recipe link up!! Also, LOVE the hostess gift idea!! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to have to try that hot chocolate! Such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a shot, its super yummy and festive so how can you go wrong?! :)

      Delete
  10. Yay for your new camera! I wish we were closer....I'm teaching a photography workshop this weekend.

    And those chalkboard labels are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. remote and tripod are a must have! I have the same camera and am still learning...I'm slowly, slowly getting the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Visiting from the Five on Friday link up! I love the idea of a Thanksgiving recipe link up! I will be sure to link up my favorite recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Caitlin! (Great name by the way!) Glad to hear you will join the link up! :)

      Delete
  13. We have zero plans too and I am SO EXCITED ABOUT IT!!! Love the hostess gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What kind of camera did you get? I am shopping around for my first "big girl" camera too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kelly! It's a Canon Rebel T3i, I added the link to Amazon by the photo :) I'm loving it so far, its much more user friendly than I expected!

      Delete
  15. You are going to LOVE your camera! I recommend a tripod, wireless remote and a 50mm or 55mm lens. Youtube tutorials and a book don't hurt either!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a nice Christmas gift! That is exactly what I want for Christmas too! I hope you enjoy using it and have fun learning how to use your new toy :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore all of this for fun festive things! And YAY for early Christmas presents!!!! I got the Nikon for an early birthday gift. I am never going any other way than DSLR haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. YAY for early Christmas presents! How exciting is that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a [slightly] old Nikon DSLR camera and I would say a tripod and camera case or bag are definitely on the to get list! I don't have a remote but that might be something great to look into!

    Stopping by from the link up.
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello from the link up! Big girl cameras rock! We got one this summer and I'm pretty much obsessed. Pinterest has lots of easy tutorials to get started on shooting in manual mode. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.