Craiglist Table Redo Complete!

You guys, I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to be DONE with this table redo. It was a royal pain.in.the.ass. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears (or BSTs, if you will) went into this project, and that was with help from my wonderful husband. I can only imagine how bonkers I would have went if he hadn't pitched in.

Finally I feel like I have time to focus on other more important things, like being lazy, shopping, eating Halloween candy, etc. Oh and blogging about other things than this table!


Being on a budget makes you do things you didn't think were possible, like buying a table on Craigslist that has been chewed by a dog and beat up by children over the span of however many years. This table also is made from that kind of wood that has the little holes in it, which drove me crazy to the point that I tried to fill all 4546654 holes with wood filler. Yup, I told ya I was going to lose it.

Regardless of how it started, I'm so happy with how it came out. So without further ado, here are the before and after pictures!



It's hard to tell in the photos, but the table had about 12 divots all the way down the top. Before we started doing anything, I disinfected that shit to get rid of the old/dirty smell and I cleaned said divots. It was gross. I just envisioned our future kids getting crumbs in the divots and it being super obvious and gross because the table would be white. So I filled ALL of the divots with wood filler. That's a lot of wood filler folks.

We also tried to fill all of the holes in the wood but there were just too many, so we did our best fixing the chewed up spindles on the chairs.

As for the seats, the original fabric was absolutely nasty (you can see them in the first picture above). I wouldn't even sit on it or touch it, so I made asked my husband remove it all for me. The foam padding was in okay shape, but it also had that old smell to it, so I figured I'd replace that too. Go big or go home, right? The seats are recovered with fabric from Joann's. 

Before painting, we had to sand all of the areas with wood filler. I also made the decision to prime everything even though that isn't necessary with chalk paint. I just wanted to make sure we had our bases covered and prevent the need to paint a ton of coats with the expensive chalk paint.

Finally, I got to painting everything with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White. I used the whole quart for 2 coats and only about a third of the Annie Sloan wax. 



Random centerpiece I put together...

You can see the little holes on the right that I was talking about. I'm over them now!

Unfortunately the owners we purchased this from didn't have 2 of the chairs or the extension piece, but as you can see from the pictures, the table is a little big for our small dining area anyway. Since we are renting, we don't really care about it being a tad big. In our next place, I imagine buying some pretty upholstered chairs for the ends.

Price Breakdown:
Solid Wood Table and 4 Chairs: $90
Zinsser Bulls Eye Primer: $9 (only used about half)
AS Chalk Paint: $38
AS Wax: $9 (typically these are $26, but I only used about 1/3 of it on the entire table and chairs)
1 1/2 yards of Fabric: $17 (with coupon from Joann's)
Foam for seats: $10 (with coupon from Joann's)
Staple gun and staples for seats: Owned
Purdy Paint Brush: Owned
Wood Filler: Owned

Total: $173

I'm pretty happy with how everything came out. Although I spent more money than I thought I would initially, I think under $200 for a solid wood table with 4 chairs and a ton of character is well worth it!

What do you all think? Do you think it was worth our efforts? Anyone got a project they are working on that you're totally sick of doing, like this was for me?!

To see more on my experience as a beginner with Chalk Paint and wax, see here and here.


13 comments

  1. I am in love with the whole idea!!! I love the fabric you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the seat cushions! You did such a great job on it and have much more patience than me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it turned out great! I can't believe you even tried to tackle that with wood filler! We bought an air compressor awhile ago and my husband uses that to spray the paint on furniture. Makes the project so much quicker! Although it does use more paint! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, that table looks awesome!! LOVE those seat cushions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man it looks amazing...and now you gave me inspiration to finally tackle my craigslist table. was the chalk paint hard to use/apply? Do you have the inside scoop on using it? I haven't used it ever but it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. Great fabric choice!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    http://acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. For under $200 that looks absolutely amazing! I am super impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow. i don't even know what to say, i'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks great! did you remove the arms from the chairs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Actually we did remove the arms from one of the chairs, I totally forgot to mention that in the post! Since we didn't get all of the original chairs, we thought it looked weird having one chair with the arms so we removed them. We just had to fill the screw holes with wood filler and then sand it a bit.. not too bad!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.