Fave Halloween Costumes Over the Years

Now that we've only got 3 Fridays left before Halloween, 6 before Thanksgiving, and 11 before Christmas, I decided I'm going to switch some things up here on the ole blog! Though today I'm still linking up with my favorite blogs like Carolina Charm, I've decided to try doing holiday posts on Fridays. Remember, I said try. That doesn't mean I won't yap about something holiday-related throughout the week, but I think it will be fun to do some "Fall Friday" or "Christmas Friday" posts.... Clearly I need to think of a better name than Christmas Friday.

To kick of my Fall Friday posts, I'm looking back (and laughing) at my five favorite Halloween costumes over the years.

ONE: Pumpkin. Circa 1990.


This costume has been rotated through our family ever since I wore it and somehow after about 4 other kids have lugged bags of candy around in it, its still in good shape! You better believe our first kid will be wearing this (sans the scrunchy socks) and probably rocking the curly fro like I did.

TWO: Belly Dancer. Circa 1993?


I was going to pick the Pink Power Ranger for this one but couldn't find a photo so we're going with Belly Dancer instead. There is too much to pick apart with this one, but I'm digging the shoe covers and giant crotch.

THREE: Fish. Circa 2007.


I know we're bypassing a lot of years here but this is a fish costume that can be worn with any outfit. All I had to do was put the straps around my arms. I only wish I had a profile shot.

FOUR: Flo. Circa 2011.


Ew shiny forehead and super bad haircut! I'm only sharing this because its an easy and cheap DIY costume. You can go to Progresive's website here for the free printables.  It's also work appropriate if your office has a Halloween party like mine did! I think I would have won the best costume award if I straightened my hair... still sore about that, obviously.

FIVE: SNL Cheerleaders. Circa 2008.


By far my favorite.... "Who's that Spartan in my teepee? It's me, it's me!" You can totally buy these costumes but I decided to make them myself during my senior year of college. We got the sweats from Walmart and I bought felt to make the Spartan design. Some of the felt had a sticky back but I actually hand-stitched most of it while I probably should have been studying. Oh well!

For fun, here is Ruby's first Halloween costume. There was a Halloween party at the dog park a few years ago but the hat fell off and she kept acting like she couldn't move with the wings on, so it came off immediately. 

And what about this year, you ask? Well, I picked this up in the clearance section at Joann Fabrics for $2.50 and its the only thing I need for my costume because I already own everything else. Who has a guess for what/who I'm dressing up as?!


What are your favorite costumes you've worn? Anyone have a good DIY costume idea for this year?

11 comments

  1. girl, found you on the link-up and so happy about it! halloween costumes through the years!?! spectacular idea. and you won me over since i'm a fellow dog lover/pup mommy. i was definitely browsing the dog costumes yesterday at target...!!!

    xx
    elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elise!! :) Glad to have you!! There are tons of dog costumes out there.. check TJ Maxx too! Actually Ruby's hula outfit this year was a cat costume... haha!

      Delete
  2. I remember a few years ago when everyone was dressing up as Flo! And I'm pretty sure the Spartans were a big hit too! Ruby looks so cute in her costume! My dog Pixie would never let me put a costume on her! Trust me I try! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! I love all of these. The pumpkin is SO cute and the Spartans one is too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a DIY Katniss costume for a party last year. I got everything at Good Will! I think that was my best adult costume ever. I saved the stuff so I could be her again... lol. My mom made a lot of our costumes. My favorite was the bride outfit she made for me!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    http://acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say you 're going to be Minnie Mouse! I saw a costume to be a pinata and that looked fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my heavens look at Ruby haha I think I need a costume for miss Emma this year now! (she's our almost 2 yr old lab fur baby) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha She stood still for .5 seconds and I was able to snap that picture! There are so many hilarious dog costumes out there this year, hopefully your Lab doesn't mind them otherwise I'd say buy on clearance after Halloween like I did! That way if he doesn't wear it, you only spent a few bucks! :)

      Delete
  7. I love the Flo costume ;) I need to find some costumes for our pups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! Pup costumes are all over the place this year, but if you don't want to spend money on one, wait until after Halloween because they always go on super clearance!

      Delete
  8. Hahaha! So cute! Love going down costume memory lane...makes me want to pull out my old pictures now :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.