8 Months In: Signs I'm Turning Into a Southerner

I suspect that die-hard Southerners would claim you can't turn into a Southerner, you are born one, but after 8 months of living here I'm starting to notice that I'm adopting lots of "southern-isms," if you will. 

{via}
Snow

First let's start off with the well-known fact that snow after Christmas is unacceptable. I used to love snow, but now the thought of dealing with more than one blizzard in a winter makes me cringe. Let's face it, my body can hardly handle the temps in Charleston this week at a rough 30 dergee average for a low.

Monograms

{via}
I don't know when this started, maybe when I was in Florida for college, but I'm monogram-obsessed. Hello, our wedding invitations were monogrammed! Vests? Jewelry? Home Decor? Hell.yes.

Sweet Tea and the SEC

{via}
I've liked sweet tea for a long time, but since I live in the "birthplace" of sweet tea, just go with it. On the football side, my dad tried converting me to a Pitt fan while growing up. Even though I cheer for them when they are on, nothing beats the SEC! Go Gators!

Y'all.  I've definitely caught myself saying and typing this phrase, which I never, ever thought would happen. However, you will never hear the phrase "All Y'all" come out of my mouth. Eek.

Biscuits and/or cornbread with every meal. Don't mind if I do.

There are some Southern-isms that I'm still on the fence about... maybe my Southern blogger friends can provide a little insight....

Southern Sayings

{via}

Honestly, what does this even mean?! I take it there are nice ways to say it and sassy, mean ways to say it... but make up your mind! Also, do people really say "Heavens to Betsy" or "Butter my butt and call me a biscuit?!" There are lots of other weird ones here that blow my mind.

Croakies

{via}
I remember making fun of South Carolina fans who always wore these to football games against the Gators. Frat boys also wore them. I still believe these are only to be used by people over the age of 60 for their bifocals.

Collard Greens and Grits. No, thank you.

Country music. Meh.... this used to be my thing as a teenager.

So is it possible to become a Southerner? Or am I outlawed because I don't like grits? 

18 comments

  1. Love these fun quotes you found! I need to take a trip down south when i move home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not from the south, but I assumed liking country music was a requirement ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grits are one thing I do not like as a tried and true Southerner!!! I do love the little Sourthernisms you're adopting!! :)!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Croakies are great for not losing your sunglasses on the boat. But that's the only time I use them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this whole thing! We moved from Connecticut almost 15 years ago and for some reason, I still cling to my New England roots for dear life. If I'm really honest with myself though, I love sweet tea, grits, monograms, and I've even said Y'all a couple times too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving all of these Southernisms! And anytime there are grits on the menu, my husband insists on ordering them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, you need to have my brother-in-law's collards and you'll become a believer I guarantee. My grandmother loves to say, "You can't make a purse out of a sow's ear" hah I love it even though it's absurd. Welcome to the South!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I would love the south! Country music anything I am all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That first printable I actually framed by the bar at our wedding!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with you on practically all of these! I too still haven't gotten the taste for grits and collard greens for the life of me...but I'll take the sweet tea, monograms, and warm weather any day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always say although I'm born and raised in Charleston I've always felt like I never fit the mold. I HATE country music, I do say y'all but it's really just out of convenience. You all takes way too long to say. But I do love my grits and collards. And my purse has my monogrammed initials on it. So maybe I was wrong about myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too funny! Corn bread at every meal is like heaven :-) I love that you are starting to use y'all...sounds like you've officially converted to the South!

    ReplyDelete
  13. country music. croakies. sweet tea. sec. You've covered all the bases! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is hilarious...especially the southern sayings! :) and i'd totally take a biscuit at every meal! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like to think of it as, "You've always had a little southern hiding in your heart." I tell my husband that. He's a mid-western Indiana boy who, since moving to Florida 8 years ago, has adopted a love of bow ties, seersucker, and knowing his neighbors. It's contagious! While I admit that some of the sayings can be hilarious, yes they are absolutely used. My favorite has always been, "I'm as lost as a short dog in tall grass!" Also, grits will grow on you. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're well on your way ;) I'm guilty of the "all y'all" and I do love grits, when they're fixed the right way!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.