DIY :: Brushstroke Art

Hey y'all! So if you follow me on Instagram I gave you a sneak peek at today's post... brushstroke art! I originally came across this idea on Pinterest which led me to Cuckoo 4 Design and Made By Girl's Cocoa & Hearts artwork. It's pretty gorgeous, you should definitely check out her work!

Unfortunately all of her designs were sold out, so I thought I'd try my hand at a similar brushstroke painting. The bonus is you can decide which colors work for you, the downside is mine definitely doesn't look as pretty as the originals.



Despite the simple nature of this project, I was being a total perfectionist and getting mad when the paint didn't go where I wanted it to go. Especially since that meant it was on my arms, face, and even my leg (What?!). I tried to learn from the blending skills I mastered in my last painting adventure, but since there were no pudding shots involved I think that made a big difference.
 
What you need:
Acrylic Paint in at least 4 colors
Canvas (Mine was a 2-pack of 8x10 canvases from Hobby Lobby)
Paintbrush
Plate and Paper Towels

I want to put this in my home office once I put up the gallery wall so I printed off my color inspiration for the room and practiced the brushstrokes and colors on a piece of cardstock. I definitely recommend practicing a little just in case you screw up on your canvas and can't fix it.

Obviously the next step is doing the same on your canvas, but hopefully better than I did. Instead of washing my brush with water in between colors, I just wiped a little bit off and dipped it in the next color.




I left a little more white on one edge of the canvas which annoys the perfectionist side of me. My brush was also a little rogue at times and I had to touch up with white paint. Just make sure you get a decent brush no wider than 1 inch.

And here it is with some of the other prints it will be joining on my gallery wall!



I think the colors came out perfect! Isn't that metallic gold so pretty?! I have approximately one third of my desk painted so there will be more on the office redo soon! The problem with redoing a desk is that if you take more than one day on it, you end up working on the floor like I did on Monday.

Edit: Here it is hung up on the gallery wall! I ended up redoing it with smaller brushstrokes, which I liked better. It's just trial and error really!



Anyone else feeling crafty enough to pull off this pretty project?

You can see more photos of my home office redo here!

29 comments

  1. Looks so good! I've been wanting to do a painting like this for when we start decorating the nursery, you have inspired me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started my own side business planning events, and I am OBSESSED with brushstroke/watermarks like this! I am using similar looks for my brand...I totally need to make this for our pad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those colors together! SO pretty!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! Can't wait to try my own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool! I will definitely have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this tutorial!! I have been stalking Jen Ramos artwork for awhile and have wanted to get a print. I am not artsy at all but this looks fun! I think I will give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OBSESSED! And that color palette is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So impressed!! I just love those colors together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm obsessing over this. Those colors are gorgeous! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are so crafty!! i love the colors you picked they look great with the rest of your framed pieces. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been wanting to diy this! Thanks for the motivation. Yours is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The canvas turned out great! Loving the color combo and gold makes everything better ha. I need to take an Etsy break and get back on the DIY train for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is pretty much the only painting i could do that will turn out decent, i have no artistic ability at all

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love a quick update like this and the best part, when you're bored of it, just create another!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those colors are so gorgeous I would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those colors and pretty much everything about this post! So simple and gorgeous:)
    Mariel Collins
    Living For His Glory
    livingforhisglory2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those colors! So pretty! And I always end up with paint all over me when I'm painting. I don't know how it happens, but it's always everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooooh pretty! you're so fancy girly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute! I need to definitely start trying out some of these DIY projects :) Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute! I am so not artsy and would not be able to recreate anything close to this, ha. I love the color way you chose for your office, can't wait to see the final reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this...gorgeous! And seriously I'm sure just a slight fraction of the cost of the ones you would have to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks awesome!!! I want to make one now too!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is gorgeous! I want to do this too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love it and want that for my bedroom!!!!! What a fab idea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loooooooooove this idea!! I'm going to pin this and do it in the next few weeks. Yours turned out beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Also -- what are the blending skills you learned from last time??

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE this! So cute!! the colors you picked are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I realy like this!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.