Spinach and Feta Pockets

When we lived in Florida, we managed to visit Disney's Epcot quite a few times during the Food and Wine Festival every Fall. If you haven't been, you're missing out. They add a bunch of tents for other countries and sell the best drinks and tapas at each of them. I always beeline to the Greece booth for the Spanikopita, and then promptly head to Mexico for a margarita. Fantastic combination, I know.

The problem with spanikopita is making it from scratch is a total pain because phyllo dough is the devil. Have you ever tried using that stuff? It's terrible. So when I came across this similar recipe made with biscuits, I couldn't wait to try it!

This recipe honestly couldn't be easier and it's so delicious with the spinach, feta, and a little hint of lemon! Mine came out on the large side, but you could easily make them smaller and they would be perfect finger foods for a party!


Spinach and Feta Pockets (Spanikopita)
Adapted from Pillsbury

Ingredients
1 package (4 oz) crumbled feta cheese
1 box of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/4 sweet onion, chopped
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can of refrigerated, regular-size (not Grands) Buttermilk Biscuits

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray. 

In a bowl, combine spinach, onions, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well.

Press 2 biscuits together to form a 3-4" circle. Fill with about 2 tablespoons of spinach mixture, fold over pocket, and use a fork to seal the edges. (My edges spread a bit, but they all stayed together)

Cook for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown, and serve warm.

 

Anyone else with me on spanikopita? I love it! Oh and P.S. 2 more days until Friday!

9 comments

  1. I love Spanikopita! But have never bothered to make it because I am not patient, lol. I'm in Tampa, so we have tons of Greek places for me to snag for my fix. But this looks easy enough for even me to attempt since you used biscuts instead of phyllo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound amazing! I love the idea of using the refrigerated biscuits!! Thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spanakopita is my favorite too! I think I remember having this conversation one time! I love that you made this without the annoying phyllo dough! Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!!! one of my favorite greek dishes! pinning this for later! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh girl, these are all me. The biscuit versus phyllo dough is crucial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES!!! This is right up my alley on the easy side and they look delish! Thank's for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! I'm a sucker for anything with feta!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound WONDERFUL! Spanikopita is one of my favorites! Can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.