Our First Anniversary

Is it the weekend yet?! I still feel like I'm on Paris time so I'm totally expecting to crash around 3 this afternoon. Which is great because you know, work is always a breeze the week you come back from vacation...

If you follow on Instagram you probably figured out that we spent the last leg of our trip, and our first anniversary, in Paris. It could not have been a more perfect day. Except maybe when we had to get up at 3 AM to catch a water taxi out of Venice... but even that didn't hold us back!

We checked into the Marriott on the famous Champs-Elysees, picked up some macarons from Laduree, saw the city on a scooter, enjoyed some complimentary champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries from the hotel, and watched the Eiffel Tower sparkle. It was amazing. But you have to wait for more details on all of that!


One of the best parts about coming home from our trip was to see my parents and my aunt who vacationed at our house while we were gone and took care of our little Ruby. When we pulled up to the house, we saw this...


It was so fun coming home to a mini-anniversary celebration! My mom and aunt went through so much effort to decorate and make us a big dinner, it was so sweet! We also got to share our anniversary cake with them... which to our surprise tasted really good after sitting in the freezer for a year!


We don't have any pretty photos of us cutting the cake, it was a long day of travel and I strictly prohibited any photos of myself. Seriously, I looked scary.

About the cake... it was still delicious! I think part of the reason is because it was a separate cake (not the top layer of the cake that sits out at your reception all evening). The icing wasn't hard at all, and the strawberry filling was just as good as I remembered it.


Needless to say, I haven't stopped eating sweets yet even though my husband and I had our fair share in Europe (see here). I'll cut back on that... next week.

23 comments

  1. That was so sweet of your parents to decorate for your 1st anniversary! :) We cut the top layer of our wedding cake at the reception and got our cake maker to make us a small 6" cake for our anniversary. Picking it up today after work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Seriously, best wishes to you two. It looks like you had a wonderful trip. I'm jealous that your cake tasted great after a year because my husband and I spit ours out and promptly baked one from a box instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so sweet of your mom and your aunt! I'm sure the last thing you wanted to do was think about dinner after traveling for hours and hours. I was shocked with how tasty our cake was too a year later! Of course I had to throw it out because Theo doesn't eat sweets and there's no way I could leave that alone with just me. I have no self control! Can't wait for more posts about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake is beautiful! Congratulations on your one year anniversary! :) Cannot wait to see all of the fabulous photographs of Paris! So amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely loved following you along your trip on IG, absolutely gorgeous. And how sweet of your mom and aunt to do that for you, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! What a perfect way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so sweet of your family! what a fun trip! super jealous! happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 1st Anniversary! How exciting that your family had the whole place decorated for you when you arrived home :-) I cannot wait to see more pictures from your Europe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw what a perfect 1st anniversary (x2!). Welcome back to 'Merica! Can't wait to see more of your pictures. And PS we need a Charleston reunion with the girls soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, this is so sweet! What a wonderful homecoming :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary!! so glad that you had tasty cake! we opted to buy pie for our one-year anniversary. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary so happy you had a wonderful time!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww so cute! I love this! That was so nice of your mom and aunt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww... What a special way to celebrate your anniversary!!! I'm pretty stinking jealous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awe Happy Anniversary - what an AMAZING way to spend it together!! Very sweet of them to make that welcome home sign too, love it! Can't wait to see more about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like an amazing trip!!! And so happy your cake turned out! Mine was ehh, questionable after a year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for coming home to a cute banner and fun anniversary celebration - so sweet of your mom and aunt! Can't wait to read all about your Europe adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This whole post makes my heart smile. Happy late anniversary! I'm so glad y'all got to spend some time in Paris! It's such a fabulous city. Cheer's to many many more anniversaries!

    Caitlin C

    ReplyDelete
  19. How adorable your Mamma did that for you!!! Happy happy belated wedding anniversary my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.