Can't Live Without It | Nifty Fifty Lens

Thank you so much to those of you who joined Stephanie, Laura, and I for our first Can't Live Without It linkup last Friday! Y'all are awesome and I can't wait to read your posts again this week!

You know the drill... share something you can't live without, grab the image, link back to your hosts, and link up below! Make sure to hop around and check out some of the fab blogs that join us!


This week I'm giving some love to my "nifty fifty" DSLR camera lens. If you've got a DSLR camera, add this to your camera bag stat!

Canon 50 mm lens
Initially this lens freaked me out because it makes you seem much closer to your subject than you actually are. You also can't zoom because its a fixed lens so that takes some getting used to. 

My favorite thing to do with this lens is blur out the background by setting the aperture low.


In the photo above, it was pretty dreary outside but you wouldn't know it because the lens pulled in so much light! And this was with a pretty quick shutter speed so my little man's constantly moving legs don't look blurry.

The 50 mm lens is also great for beginners to learn how to shoot manual. I never thought I'd say this but after about a day of playing with the settings using this lens, I feel like I am getting the hang of it! For whatever reason manual seems easier with this lens than the stock lens.

Don't believe me? Check out Laura's post.. great minds think like :)

And if you're looking for something to do this weekend, this DIY camera lens strap is another one of my must haves! If you've been around for a while this strap may look familiar... I made it last year out of a scarf and some leather scraps. It beats the hell out of the uncomfortable stock camera strap and if its super easy to make if you have a sewing machine lying around collecting dust.



One of my goals this summer is to start using my DSLR more than I use my iPhone for photos so I know this lens is going to get a lot of use!

Also I realized I'm never in photos. Does that happen to anyone else? I think my husband needs a crash course on the fifty nifty lens so it looks like I actually exist... ha! Have a great weekend y'all!



15 comments

  1. This is my favorite lens in my camera bag! Love, love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my 50mm... I'm itching to get the 1.2 though... I just can't afford it right now! A girl can dream though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to get a fancy camera. (and some fancy lens!) I'll have to ask you more details when I'm ready to buy it - and check out your cute DIY strap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That camera lens is on my daughter's wish list too. Saving my money now, would love to give to her for her birthday in July. Glad to know an opinion on it before dropping that kind of money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how many times I first tried to zoom in with my 50mm lens just out of habit! I agree though, can't live without it now that I have one! :)

    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just taken over my husband's Canon DSLR and am trying to learn the ins and outs, but am very much a rookie. Maybe this little gem is the next thing I need!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that camera strap is amazing! I definitely need to add that to my DIY list! I took a course last year to learn how to shoot in manual but I never practice so I have forgotten basically everything I learned :( ugh

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally admire your photography skills! DSLRs scare the crap out of me! Happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love prime leneses, that is the very first one I bought too, it takes the BEST photos EVER! I think I'm going to get the 40mm one soon, such a reasonable price too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got this lens recently, too, and I love it so much! I totally agree with everything you said about it!

    Xo
    Candace
    Lovely Little Rants

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gah glad I am finally seeing this link-up; will totally be joining in now! great idea. Your camera and ability to use the thing never cease to amaze me. See you and R. soon!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously it's like we wrote this together! Forget the husband taking photos (they never get it right) Invest in a tripod and wireless remote. Trust me on this one....easy peasy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the nifty fifty! It's on my camera probably 90% of the time! And I agree with Laura, tripod and wireless remote! That's the only way I ever end up in pictures! Also, I love the scarf camera strap, I think I need to make one for myself because I am stills using the stock one :(

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.