DIY Restoration Hardware Knockoff Coffee Table

This post could also be titled: The weekend that it never stopped raining.

Y'all, it's been relentless. We had almost 3 feet of rain over the course of 4 days. And it's still going.

Though our backyard did flood some, we were extremely lucky that we were spared for what most of the Low Country experienced. It's heartbreaking to see the photos of downtown Charleston.

Most of the roads and bridges around us were shut down and curfews were ordered, so we have basically been cooped up in our home since Thursday. Needless to say we were feeling really stir crazy but are SO incredibly thankful that our little family, our home, and ours friends are all safe.

And if there is a silver lining, its that we got a full weekend of cuddling, football watching, and wine drinking under cozy blankets.

Since I'm pretty sure y'all don't want to see photos of us in our pajamas all weekend, I thought I'd share our DIY coffee table!


Its finally done. Hallelujah! (Although in these photos we hadn't applied the clear coat yet... sorry, had to work with whatever light I could get for some photos!)

We have been working on this table for months. Yes, you heard me. MONTHS.

And no, it should not take that long.

But when you're husband is working on it during nap times and you change the dimensions on him after its mostly built (sorry babe!), it turns into a multi-weekend event.


I love the Restoration Hardware Balustrade coffee table, but at a $1,700 price point, that was absolutely out of the question.

I'm not going to do a full DIY post because everything is laid out perfectly by Jen from the House of Wood. But I want to share some of the changes we made to make it work with our space!


Size

The original plans for this coffee table are huge. I mean this thing would have taken up our entire living room and it just wasn't practical for us. So we cut down and removed some boards and I'm so happy we did. Our table comes in at 44" W x 27.5" D.

Stain

I wanted a lighter colored stain that had just a slight hint of grey in it, so after testing quite a few combinations I decided on a coat of Minwax Special Walnut then layered a coat of Minwax Classic Grey over top. I wiped the grey off immediately because it can look blue if its on there too long.

For whatever reason, some parts of our boards did not stain evenly. The ends are always darker but it does drive me a little bit crazy the way it stained (and don't get me started on how the wall color clashes with the couch color). Not much we can do though since we were trying to keep this cheap and bought lower grade wood.

Cost

The most expensive part of this project is purchasing the pillars. Those run a minimum of $112 for 4, depending on the wood you choose.

And as a result of my last minute changes in size to the already-built coffee table (insert my husband's eye roll here), we had to buy a few extra boards.

Total cost: just under $200. 

$200 versus $1,700? Yeah, I'll take ours any day.


Major props to my husband for building this gorgeous piece for us. I'm super impressed with his woodworking skills, and I think he even surprised himself considering this is only his second piece of furniture he has built.

I only get credit for staining, motivational speeches, and the serving of beer during the building process.

We haven't owned a coffee table since college (first world problems, I know), so I'm excited to style it and put some Fall touches on it! I hope you all had a fun and dry first weekend of October!

26 comments

  1. It was a rainy weekend here, but nothing like what you guys got. I'm just glad to hear that you're safe and sound!
    That coffee table is gorgeous!!!! Can I have one for my house? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! This weekend was nuts. The flooding freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coffee table is amazing! I am so impressed and it is gorgeous!! I'm glad to hear you all are safe ! We've experienced similar rainfall in MD and it is not pleasant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swooning over this coffee table. Showing this post to my husband immediately (Christmas present please?!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks sooo good!! And for a savings of $1500? Yes, please! Glad to hear you guys are staying dry-ish down there, hoping it lets up for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. motivational speeches lol :) nice! the table looks gorgeous!!! wanna make us one too? so glad your house is okay -- stay safe and hopefully this city dries up soon. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swoon. Looks fabulous!! I wish we could do something like this, but we are not handy at all. Hope that rain lets up for you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous coffee table! Hope that the rain lets up and that you're able to get out of the house soon... we've been cooped up since Friday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This table is gorgeous and looks like you could have bought it from the store - such a good DIY outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot believe you DIY'd that coffee table. It looks so good! Glad to hear you all kept dry this weekend!

    xx, Carly | carly blogs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your coffee table is amazing!! Hope you're staying relatively dry!

    xo Jen
    Skirt The Rules

    ReplyDelete
  12. ummm I'm pretty sure I don't remember the sun!!

    Ok so let's just talk about this table...just kidding, I can't, because I'm speechless! I LOVE it! I'm showing my hubs asap! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. The coffee table turned out beautifully! What an amazing job he did! Love the design and stain!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Y'all did an amazing job and it looks fab! We actually have an RH table and yours honestly looks better than hours so win for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy to hear you're safe and dry!! Can your husband come built that coffee tabled for my house??! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing! I'm obsessed with it! Y'all rock. Bravo! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. As always I loved the way this turned out! At first I thought he crafted the pillars too and I was like WOAH! haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is stunning! It looks so expensive and chunky. I love it. And feel free to share styling tips. I always struggle with how to style my coffee table! Stay dry over there :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That coffee table is beautiful and looks like you bought it from the store!! I do have to ask, where did you get that white chair in the background? I'm on the hunt for a pair of wing-back chairs for our living room

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so happy to hear you guys were all ok. It made me think back to my South Florida "hurricane party" days...yikes. Major major props to S. for building this. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my god thats beautiful! When it comes to a rainy afternoon here all I tend to do is sit and watch TV!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am super impressed. I'm forwarding this to Mark so he can get on it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's gorgeous! So impressive! And glad to hear y'all are safe. We received a good bit of rain here in the upstate but I was shocked to see people kayaking through the market.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks fantastic! I cannot believe they can charge $1700! Good for you guys making your own! Our house is totally comprised of DIYs because we cannot stomach the amount some stores charge either! Glad it has stopped raining!

    Annie- All Things Big and Small

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely LOVE the table DIY!!! It turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.