DIY Fall Wreath

On Friday I mentioned that I was going to start working on some DIY projects for this Fall, so without further ado, here is my new wreath!


Since I'm new to DIY projects like this, I tried to keep it simple. It probably would have taken about 20 minutes to make but I'm a perfectionist and I kept playing around with the placement of the wheat and berries.

What you will need:

Cost Breakdown:
Chevron Burlap: $2.50 (With 50% off sale at Hobby Lobby, I'm pretty sure this was $4.99 in the store)
Floral Wire: $1.50 from Walmart (Get the green color so it isn't as noticable as mine!)
Scissors, Hot Glue Gun, and Glue sticks: Owned
Grapevine Wreath: $3 (With 40% off coupon at Joann Fabrics)
Orange Berries: $1.50 each x 4 (With 30% off sale at Joann Fabrics)
Wheat: $3.50 (With 40% off at Hobby Lobby)

Total: $16.50, with chevron burlap, floral wire, and wheat leftover for another wreath or project

I started by making the bow, that way I would know where I wanted to place the berries and wheat on the wreath. Lay your ribbon or burlap on the floor and cross the two as shown in the top photo. Then, with a piece of floral wire cut and ready, pinch the center of the ribbon to form a bow and secure with the wire.

Once the center is secured, cut a piece of the ribbon about 3" x 2" and plug in your hot glue gun. Fold the fabric into thirds and glue together. Then, tightly wrap the ribbon or fabric around the center of the bow and glue together on the back.
Sorry my giant hand is in this photo! haha

Leave the ends of the bow long until you secure it on your wreath, that way you can decide how long you want them to be.

To decorate the wreath, I worked in layers. First I added a few pieces of the wheat and secured them with both the floral wire and a dab of glue, just to make sure they didn't fall out. I think this would have been possible with just the floral wire, but its a little tricky to wrap the wire around the wheat without breaking it. I continued to add more wheat and then the orange berries until I liked how it looked. This is totally a judgement call so arrange it however you'd like.

You can see how I added a few branches in layers.

After I finished both sides, I trimmed the ends of the wheat because they were sticking out from the wreath a little too much for my liking. Don't worry about some of the ends showing either because the bow will cover that.

Finally, I used a mixture of the floral wire and hot glue to secure the bow on the wreath. I say a mixture because I kind of ended up "MacGyver-ing" it after the floral wire and bow combination wouldn't cooperate. Once I finally got the bow in place, I could still see the wire so I covered it up with some orange berries directly above the bow and you can't even tell. Sorry for the lack of a technical explanation on that part, its a hot mess underneath my bow so all I can say is just do what you can to make it secure. ha!

You can either hang it as is, or add a wooden or jute-wrapped monogram like the one I used in the right photo. (See the tutorial for that on Two Twenty One). I didn't attach the monogram to the wreath yet because that is what we currently have hanging on our door, but I just might do that later on because I think its cute.
I like it because its kind of Halloween-ish but not obnoxious and I can use it throughout the Fall. I won't be officially decorating with it until I bust out my Fall decor in September, but I wanted to share the tutorial with you in case you wanted to make one too!

So what do you think? Pretty easy, right? If anyone makes one, let me know because I'd love to see how it comes out! :)

To see another Fall DIY project, check out my easy, no-sew Halloween bunting tutorial here!

22 comments

  1. Love it! So cute! Quick question for ya, where did you find your Annie Sloan paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) You have to either purchase the AS chalk paint through a stockist (you can find the nearest one at Anniesloanunfolded.com/retailers) or there are a few websites you can order it, but you'd have to pay for shipping. I got lucky and there are 2 stockists within 20 minutes of me.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! It's still staying together so I think I pulled it off alright.. haha!

      Delete
  3. This looks great! I will be trying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so adorable, and gets me so excited for Fall! I love the chevron burlap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brett! When I saw that chevron burlap I knew I had to find a project to use it on! haha

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you! I was thinking something yellow mixed in would be pretty too!

      Delete
  6. That turned out so beautifully! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really cute. I might have to make one!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    http://acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! So glad you like it, it was super easy to make so definitely give it a shot! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, I love the chevron bow! We've got a fall wreath that I made last year with a simple wired ribbon bow, but I think I might have to use this burlap idea!
    Best,
    Mary Leigh
    http://thriftfortoday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love that chevron burlap ribbon, its so easy to work with you can totally do it! :)

      Delete
  9. Love this! I love that bow! I looked for chevron ribbon a few weeks ago, but no luck since we don't have Hobby Lobby, so had to paint my own chevron on! Jealous of all you Hobby Lobby folks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) Have you checked Hobby Lobby online? I know they did have the chevron ribbon online at one point! Good luck finding it!!

      Delete
  10. I love this! I've been Googling easy, DIY fall wreaths and so far this is the only one that seems like I can pull it off! Hopefully it will only take me an hour. lol Thanks so much for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Courtney!! :) You can totally do make this wreath.. and if you have problems just glue away and hide it with a big bow!

      Delete
  11. Woo hoo! A fall wreath I think I can make and will actually turn out the way it is supposed to! Thanks for the price breakdown, too.. That's how I shop at Hobby Lobby and Jo-Ann's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I think it may even be cheaper if you get most of it at Hobby Lobby, but thats a little further away from me so I wasn't being picky! You can totally make this :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.