Life Lessons... from a Dog

Today I'm taking a quick break from the fall-themed posts to share some things I've learned since I became a dog owner. If you don't have a dog or consider yourself more of a "cat person," the latter of which makes me question our internet friendship there are still some very valuable lessons to be learned from a dog (see #8.. I mean, #12)

I've had three dogs since I was a kid. We thought our first dog was a boy, so while we were on vacation we asked the vet to neuter "him." Well, we ended up getting a call about that one because Highway was a girl and could not be neutered... haha! (Not sure how my parents got that one confused...)

{Via}
Anyway, without getting too mushy, here are a few lessons I have learned from having our little Ruby and my two dogs while growing up. If you have a dog, I know I don't have to tell you that they are truly a member of your family and Ruby is no exception for us. She is loving, patient (sometimes), smart, and just the sweetest dog to everyone she meets. I know I left a lot of things out, I think we still have a lot to learn from her.

    (1) Sometimes it's easier to remember a dog's name than it's owners' 

    (2) Wood floors are difficult to run on or make quick turns

    (3) Sometimes you just need to smell every.blade.of.grass... so have patience

    (4) Appreciate the small things

    (5) A bad day can always get better, usually thanks to lots of kisses

    (6) A new toy is fun, but it doesn't compare to playing with Dad's stinky socks

    (7) Anytime is a good time for a nap

    (8) It's perfectly acceptable to hold a bag of dog poop while carrying on long conversations with your neighbors

    (9) Visiting new places is great but nothing beats cuddling on the couch at home

    (10) Coming home to see the ones you love never gets old, even if you've only been gone 5 minutes

    (11) If you're super cute, Dad will let you take over his pillow at night.... sometimes Mom does too

    (12) You can love unconditionally and without reservation

    (13) Any dog, no matter what the breed, can be a great dog

    And to show you what a spoiled, goofy little pup we have.... 
    Left: Ruby finds any bit of shade she can during our walk. Right: Dad gives in and carries her home. haha!


    Anyone have anything to add? I'd love to hear some of the lessons you've learned from your dog, and even from cats! I like cats too but the hubs is allergic!

    12 comments

    1. Aww, so cute. We just got a dog and are loving the little guy! Dogs are the best :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love this! Have always had a dog in the house since the day I was born and wouldn't have it any other way! I would rescue every dog in the world if I could! :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Sometimes when I go to someone's house I would rather play with their dog than hang out with them! If it was up to me I'd have a house full of dogs but I'm not the only one who lives at my house so it's not ultimately my decision!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I love this! My little Scout is my baby. He has added some much to my life!

      ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
      http://acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    5. haha, I love #1 and #8. I can totally relate. I always talk about my neighbors based on their dogs...its kind of sad now that I realize it, but sometimes sadly the dogs are more friendly haha. such a cute post!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Such a sweet post. We will the same way about our dog!

      I really love your blog. I nominated you for the Liebster Award =)
      http://sheltieinthecity.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-liebster-award.html

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you SO much for thinking of me! So sweet of you :) Glad you enjoyed the post!

        Delete
    7. really really love this post as a dog owner of two they are my precious pups and make life so much better. and they are right a bad day can become so much better thanks to kisses, a wagging tail and rub my belly!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Haha, I feel like I could have written this post! Our dogs look almost identical and I've totally been there on all of those things! (especially carrying Milly when she gets tired halfway through our walks and lays down under a tree. so spoiled)

      ReplyDelete
    9. This is sweet and so right! I miss having pups around- they're so much fun :) Yours is precious!

      ReplyDelete

    Powered by Blogger.