New Series: Weekend DIYs

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I was going to be starting a new series on the blog so its finally time to spill the beans! I'm so excited to finally be getting back to one of my favorite parts about this blog, DIY projects!

And in case you ever think your house is a complete mess, go ahead and bookmark this post so you can come back to it and instantly feel better about your current living situation. 


It's been a while since I had time for holiday DIY projects or coerced my husband into building a coffee table, but with so many things on our new house to-do list my goal is to knock one project off every couple of weeks. While it would be fabulous if we could hire someone to do this for us, we're on a budget and I have (probably too much) confidence we can do it.

I should probably point out that we are still beginners when it comes to DIY projects around the house, in fact it took us 3 hours to comprehend IKEA instructions for a baby gate last week. Which is still not installed by the way, ahem....

Anyway I hope this series will inspire you, give you a few laughs at rogue projects that don't go as planned (there are bound to be a few in this bunch), or help if you're planning to start a similar project of your own.

First things first, we have to discuss some of said projects! There are many, many small projects like replacing the kitchen faucet that did not make this list but here are the biggies with the horrifying visuals.

Guest Room: Paint


I have been going back and forth on this room color but finally decided on Sherwin Williams Spare White. It's got the slightest hint of green in it which I think will pick up some of the colors in the rug and go well with the dark bed frame and gold details. Now I just need to find the time to paint! That dinky fan needs to go too now that I see it photo bombing this picture.

Guest Room 2/Rowan's Big Boy Room


This room is a hot mess and I can't even believe I'm sharing this photo. It's currently serving as storage obviously but it has gotten slightly better since I took this photo. The previous owners thought it was a super good idea to paint a very dark navy on alllllll of the walls, so who knows how many coats of primer and paint it will take. I want to do a board and batten statement wall like this on the wall where you see my sad little sewing machine set up.

Office: Organize


I am normally one of those people who always keeps their work space immaculate and organized, but right now it is so far from it. I've got first birthday projects everywhere, random Target Dollar section purchases on the floor, a gallery wall to hang, etc. It's bad. At least its painted and has a pretty light fixture!

Laundry: Paint + Add Cabinets 


Pretty self explanatory, nothing fancy but it could use a face lift with some prefab cabinets. 

Dining Room: DIY Wainscoting + Paint


This room has lots of potential and I think the wainscoting will add a lot of value, plus a good coat of paint will cover up whatever the eff the previous owners had going on with these walls. It also needs a new light fixture, curtains and curtain rods... just to name a few. And hey, maybe someday we'll even furnish this space!

Not pictured but something we'll most definitely hire some help with are painting our kitchen cabinets white and redoing our half bath. I just know those are not doable projects with how hectic things can get around here!

So there you have it, our project list in all of its messy, unfinished glory.

If you have any words of wisdom or suggestions for dining room paint colors, send them my way! I'll keep you all updated on our progress every couple of weeks!

9 comments

  1. DIY house projects are one of my favourite things to read in Blogland! Actually my whole blogging experience started with Young House Love. Can't wait to see how your projects turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and 100% relate. Our weekends are all about home DIY upgrades!!! Love your ideas. And girl....bless it with the navy and red stripe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I love that you're bringing back the DIY posts - those are some of my favorite posts of yours. Can't wait to see what you tackle first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for more home DIY posts! And girl, my house has a couple of those rooms with piles of stuff everywhere. I love darker/moodier colors for dining rooms, especially if you're going to have white b&b to break it up! I think BM Kendall Charcoal is a popular color for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! How fun. Can't wait to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this series already! So excited to see these DIY projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your dining room looks like ours!! if you are hiring out help i know a great handy lady! she just did some stuff around our house and her rates are reasonable and her work is really good! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait for this new series! We put up DIY wainscoting in our dining room using this tutorial (http://blog.jennasuedesign.com/2011/05/dining-room-wainscoting-done/) and it was so easy! Time consuming, but pretty simple and we love the results!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rowan's BIG BOY room?! What I am not ready for this!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.