Top 5 One-Piece Swimsuits (Tested + Approved!)

I hope you all had a fun long weekend! I've been working hard on this post for a few weeks but seeing as we're past the unofficial start of summer, I thought it was time to share my research.

You all know I've been on the hunt for a black one-piece swimsuit this year, but what you didn't know is I've been ordering them online and returning the ones that don't pass my rigorous testing.

Honestly I'm not trying to impress anyone in a swimsuit. I very clearly have "mom" stamped all over me and I'm okay with that. But I do want to feel comfortable.

As in... whats left of my post-baby boobs aren't flopping all about as I wrestle my fussy toddler in swim class.

I had a lot of requests to share some of my faves so I've broken it down into why I loved or didn't love a one-piece black swimsuit.

Clockwise: J. Crew Femme One-Piece Swimsuit, J. Crew Deep V Ruched One-Piece, Anthropologie Seaside High Neck One Piece, Target Flounce One-Piece, VS Halter Shaping One-Piece
After my extensive testing, I found a trend. Swimsuits with padding, slight ruching (but not too much), and thick straps were my favorite. Those that didn't even include cups were tossed immediately (ahem... Old Navy scallop one-piece. So cute but so not practical unless you haven't hit puberty yet).

Anthropologie Seaside High Neck One Piece (Similar, on sale!)
Pros: Good coverage, halter neckline, pretty patterns or solids
Cons: No ruching and may be better for smaller cup size.. I'm not sure it would have wrangled my nursing boobs from last summer

Target Flounce One-Piece
Pros: Side boning, padded cups, doesn't pull down when moving around, slight ruching, flutter material distracts from my post-baby pouch that is apparently here to stay, price
Cons: Strap isn't super secure, may be better for smaller cup sizes

J. Crew Deep V Ruched One-Piece
Pros: Slight ruching, strong straps, padding, lower back which makes you feel less mom-like but still covered
Cons: Price unless you get a good sale and potential back fat if straps are too tight

J. Crew Femme One-Piece Swimsuit
Pros: Wide straps, ruching, padded cups and lots of support
Cons: Ruching is a little more obvious

Victoria's Secret Halter Shaping One-Piece
Pros: Strong halter strap, ruching, lots of support
Cons: Price

Honorable mention to this Loft Seashell Cutout Swimsuit. I loved the cutout but the pattern didn't do anything for me. Clearly I love the basics!

My biggest challenge was finding budget options that fit the bill, but sales and Ebates helped!

So what's my final verdict? I'm keeping the flounce swimsuit because I already had it and the deep V ruched swimsuit, its my number one for sure!

Hope this helps if you're on the hunt for a flattering one piece, especially for my fellow black one-piece swimsuit lovers!

11 comments

  1. Yes to some ruching and sturdy straps! Now I just need to find some shorts that are comfy and long enough so I'm not flashing people every time I bend down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - just tried on that scalloped Old Navy one piece this weekend. THAT BLESSED THING WAS AWFUL. So bad.
    Cute picks - I'm going to have to try them out. Desperately looking for an awesome one piece for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a very similar version to the rouched V-neck one and I absolutely love it!!
    Xo, Evelina @ Fortunate House

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah. I have been searching online for weeks for a perfect one piece.I love the target one and have a feeling I will be matching a lot of moms on the beach this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All super cute! I have just started looking for a one piece, this is a great starting point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm bookmarking these for after I have my baby.. that shaping one from Victoria Secret looks like it would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't worn a one piece in YEARS but definitely need to add one to my summer wardrobe for after baby! I'm kinda tall and never had good luck with finding one long enough...any thoughts on that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well thank you for your extensive research because this has made swimsuit shopping for me so easy this year!! I'm going to pick up the Target flouncy suit and I think that Anthro one because (sadly), my boobs have not grown at all during this pregnancy haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so helpful! It is a struggle to find a bathing suit that is both flattering and cute post baby! I am on the hunt... I think I may have to go with that Target flouncy one as it seems to be the most modest in the chest area... Not sure I can pull off the deep plunge look with what I've got going on up top (#pregnancy/nursingboobs)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finds! Finding a cute and mom appropriate swim suit seems so complicated! I love the J Crew one!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.