6 Thoughts from the Hurricane Weekend

First of all thank you to those of you who reached out to see how we were doing during Hurricane Matthew, offered places for us to stay, and prayed for our beautiful city of Charleston!

I am happy to report that we are all safe and our home did not sustain any damage during the storm, which I know makes us extremely fortunate because so many could not say the same. This is one of those rare times when we are glad we don't live by the beach! Being far away from any flood zones was one of the reasons we stayed.

Everyone in Charleston went into full panic mode Tuesday, with hour-long lines at the gas station and water already selling out five days before the storm. Schools closed Wednesday and some of our neighbors packed up and left immediately, it was sort of surreal. We're glad we stayed but you better believe we had bags packed just in case!

Here are some of the highlights from being trapped inside for 4 days with a wild toddler...

- I beat my husband in fantasy football and he now has to meal plan, grocery shop, and cook dinner this entire week. YES!! Probably the best bet I've ever won! I also made sure to note in the fine print that pizza is not an acceptable dinner 5 nights in a row.

- We've been watching the new HBO show Westworld, and I cannot decide if I'm into it or just watching because I have so many unanswered questions each episode! Anyone else watching it? I also recorded Divorce and can't wait to watch SJP in a totally different role than Carrie!

-  Rowan hasn't slept on my chest in 6+ months so when he wouldn't sleep in his makeshift bedroom in our walk-in closet (no windows and close to us if the power went out) my mama heart loved it. Now, he has never been one of those kids that could sleep in bed with us (probably a good thing!) because he sleeps like a freaking ninja. I got an hour of sleep that night but it was sweet to have him cuddled up on me even if he did end up horizontal and taking up half of the bed.

- Saturday morning the weather was at its worst point and we ended up losing power, but I was so thankful I had some kids paint and little Halloween projects from the Target dollar spot to keep Rowan busy!

Serious focus going on here.... Also I think he has the longest eyelashes I've ever seen on a kid!

- Having to stay inside all weekend forced me to finally finish our guest bedroom and Rowan's Halloween costume! If you follow on snapchat (HomeSweetRuby) you got to see part of his costume and I'll be sharing some sneak peeks of the guest room before the reveal this week!

-  We phased Rowan out of his paci two weeks ago and though I was a little sad because it was his last connection to being a baby, we are loving it! He talks so much more now and is so animated while we read books at bedtime, it's one less thing to remember in my diaper bag, and he really only had one rough night without it!

It was a crazy weekend so we're glad to get back into the swing of things! Lots of good stuff coming up on the blog this week. Hope you all managed to stay dry!

6 comments

  1. Glad that y'all weathered the hurricane & didn't have any damage to your house! Love the bet you made with your husband - best. bet. ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are all okay!! Now teach me your pacifier ditching ways because I really, really, REALLY need to get rid of ours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about you guys this weekend! Glad you're all ok! My husband and I watched the first episode of Westworld and I'm creeped out by it, but also intrigued. And teach me your paci-removing ways!! I've been trying to phase it out, but L is teething like mad lately and it's keeping me sane. Except for the fact that he'll wake up in the middle of the night and cry until I pop it back in. That is not keeping me sane. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as you made the best of being stuck inside :) glad youre all okay!
    XO Ellen from Ask Away
    www.askawayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im so glad you guys are ok!!! I cant wait to see Rowan all dressed up in his costume! oh and I watched the first episode of Divorce and I liked it! Not sure if I want to start Westward or not. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you guys are okay!! And can I just say that meal planning/shopping/cooking is the BEST thing in the world to bet over?!? I am going to be trying that ASAP!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.